Saturday 25 July 2020

PROJECT TERRYCADE: Parts TWO AND THREE!

I'm spoiling you here! Two episodes! Ok, not so much spoiling you as haven't had time to post on here for a while and forgot to post last time I released a video. 

I just wanted to quickly talk about my evolving style of presentation. This is all reasonably new to me, I've done some podcast hosting (READY PLAYER TWO!) and streamed a fair amount, so I'm not a stranger to showing off. But it's a different thing narrating a video. 

I started out just chatting over the video, almost a running commentary, and that's pretty simple and easy to do. I just don't think it works very well. In episode three I have made a change and scripted it. I watch the video taking notes and pausing to write a script. Then I recorded the script while it's all fresh in my mind and I can still keep relevant emotion going through it.

I'm not the worlds most natural narrator but I'm happier with the results. 

Anyway - episode Two is one of the most critical stages. Getting the battens in the right place will save (and did) a lot of pain and time later. With these fixed accurately all the joining parts will fall into place when it comes to assembly (assuming the parts are all cut to size and shape!)


Episode Three is a more detailed look at getting all of the parts that will need work sorted before it's all assembled. I see this stuff time and again on build videos done when the case is complete. Cutting holes and drilling out bits for power sockets and the like, even routing the t-slots. Make a mistake with the router (and this is exactly what I did in this video) and you have to rip a board out and repair it. It's tough to work out everything you need to do before you pull the trigger, and as a side note I have assembled the cabinet and forgotten to drill out one hole, but planning ahead really saves a lot of time. This is the main reason I plan out everything in Sketchup first.


Should be another episode up within a few days. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment